Sunday, 21 June 2009

CIP Event Part 2

Hi everyone,

The topic of this blog entry is quite obvious, as indicated by the title. It is a continuation of the entry before the previous entry. Last time, we were distributing fliers. So today, we are going to collect the newspapers!

I arrived at Jurong East MRT at the appointed time. This time, I saw lesser people than last time. I groaned inwardly. The work was going to be tough. Soon, more people arrived, but not as much as the previous time. Then, the organisers arrived. Their numbers had dwindled. I groaned again. Everybody had chosen not to come on the day where the work was harder.

Soon, we were split up into two groups and the four leaders/organisers split themselves up and we went off to our destination! However, along the way, right before we reached the crossroads, the leaders decided to combine the group as there was too little people. We started on our first block once we reached it. Before that however, we were split into four mini groups and each leader was put in charge of one so we could tackle four blocks at a time.

The first block my group did was a low block with only four storeys. The ground storey was a few shops, the second storey was the shophouses and only the last two storeys were residential units. So we only managed to collect a few newspapers and magazines and such.

The second block we did was a normal block, but it was very old, so the lift only served one out of four floors. There were twenty floors in all! So we decided to start from the top so we could move down instead of climb up. Most of the residents did not have any newspapers to donate to us. However, one kind man had a lot and had already helped us to pack them into boxes and tie up those he couldn't. There was a lot in total. We had to lug them down the stairs since it was not a storey with a lift.

This continued on for around four more hours. Then, I had to leave as I had something on that afternoon. I took a bus back to the Jurong East MRT with Gui An, as he also had to leave. Then we ate at the hawker centre near the MRT. Then we took MRT home after our delicious lunch of a chicken rice set, which consisted of a bowl of chicken rice, a plate of chicken and a huge bowl of soup (Gui An had corn soup and I had peanut). It went at only $3!

This CIP event was very tiring, but the fun of working with friends, where newfound friends or not, made up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment