Sunday, 7 February 2010

Secondary Two Life

The new school year has started, and I am getting a taste of how secondary school is really supposed to be like. In Secondary One, I thought that school was already really busy. However, once Secondary Two started, I finally realised why Sec One was called the "honeymoon year".

Even though it was just the first few weeks of the school term, I already had a lot of homework and projects piling up in my "To-do" list. Luckily, I am the sort of people who do not procrastinate, but instead try to finish the homework on the day it was given even though it was due next week or something. Thus, I am free on weekends to relax or revise my work while classmates who procrastinate have to rush to finish their homework.

This year, my school also introduced a new system for calculating our exam marks. This "made life harder" for us students, so to speak, but I feel that it is better this way as the school can accurately judge our weaknesses and strengths so it can help us tackle our weaknesses. Thus,we would be more developed in all areas.

In order to continue to do well, I could not depend on, for example, certain aspects of a subject(such as oral participation) to pull up my marks in the written test for that subject. Instead, I must work harder so that all aspects of my subject would be equally good. Even though this system made me more busy, I appreciate it because it "forces" us to improve on our weak points instead of relying on our strengths to make up for our weaknesses.

Enough talk about academic matters. Secondary Two also introduced a new "program", in which my class has to take part in. It's some sort of Future School initiative, which means that computers and online web pages will be utilised more regularly in our learning. This meant that we need to use laptops and websites like Wikispaces and Wetpaint regularly. I have not experienced much of this future school learning yet, so I will update this blog soon with a description of my experiences with this future school.

So far, secondary two has been positive with new initiatives and of course, a huge amount of work. I hope to do well in my examinations this year, at least as well as last year if not better. Hopefully, this good start meant that the rest of the year will be as positive as the start. Who knows? No matter what, I will try to do my best in everything I do.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I totally agree on how the homework is piling up on us. I feel much busier this year. Unlike last year, our homework this year is accumulative. Furthermore, I have my CCA which ends quite late, leaving me a few hours left to spare at night. Life is a boring cycle of school,eating,CCA,homework and sleep. However i agree with you that no matter what we should try our best in everything we do. That's the only way to succeed in life. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete